Monday, June 22, 2009

Good Signs / Bad Signs

Well, once again I find myself more interested in the methodology of the articles we are reading than the actual content... this is either a really good sign or a really bad sign.

In the Castanheira & Green, "Reformulating Identities" article, the methodology of the ethnography in the fifth grade classroom was intriguing. The footnote indicated that the actual research started a year prior to the observation, the researcher forged a relationship with the teacher and negotiated issues that would become central to the research. This pre-research seemed vital in shaping the approach to observation period.
I also found interesting the impetus for this ethnographic research: the researcher's son, a Portuguese-speaking fifth grader, had successfully learned to read, write and speak in English and Spanish within an academic year of this classroom. Furthermore, the tools used such as the discourse maps seemed daunting to interpret, but in fact, after a few seconds they became meaningful and helped support the interpretation of the data.

In the "Interactional Ethnography'......" Castanheira & Green article, I also found interesting the fact that the researchers didn't have enough and (the type of data) to pursue a macroethnographic approach to examining literacy practices and instead focused on an emic approach. I wonder if they first examined the data collected and then decided on the approach- or was it the other way around? Does the type of data drive the type of questions and type of approach in ethnography? I guess it would if one is working from preexisting data. This leaves me with the question of intent? The researchers mentioned in the article that they were unable to take a macro perspective- this suggests that they had wanted to but didn't. Are researchers compromising the types of questions they are asking or molding to fit data in existence? ...ummm.... as usual, I find myself with more questions than answers.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I'm really enjoying all of this... which is a really good sign, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment