Thursday, June 25, 2009

One foot stuck in a SPACE

At the end of week four, I feel that I have a framework to guide me through the course readings. I'm beginning to make connections and gain a deeper understanding of the elements of ethnographic research and the theories that underline it.

The Illustrative Literary Events regarding the Spaces in Academic Socialization (Seloni, 2008) seems so applicable and personally relevant as a teacher and a student.

The Initial Contact - conversations about academics/clarifications, student orientation, seeking more information
Typical Academic spaces- writing centers, class dialogues, lectures, on going conversations
Academic Culture Collaboration- support group, side conversations, presentations

Gratefully, I have a superb cohort here at IUP and an excellent smaller collaborative group has evolved from my cohort which glimmers of Academic Culture Collaboration (ACC). Probably, as a second year doctoral student, I should be fully at ACC, but through reflection, I see myself still emerging in Academic Culture Collaboration, which seems to me to be the ideal space. However, part of me clings to the Typical Academic Space (TAS). The transition over to the ACC isn't complete because I still have one foot grounded in the TAS, I'm sure, in what I feels I still need as a structured context with familiar support and familiar expectations. Making connections between theory and practice through peer interactions to gain deeper understanding, further clarification, and new insight is the epitome of academic collaboration. My growth as a scholar, from what I've gleaned from the literature will only benefit when I'm completely immersed in the Academic Culture Collaboration; so I'm really trying hard to get my foot unstuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment